View Single Post
Old 17.12.2018, 08:18

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
How is Juncker worse than others who occupied the same position, some of them for much longer than he did? I'm trying hard to find good enough reasons to dislike him more than others - presidents of the EC or in some other significant position.

No, his appointment wasn't a factor for Brexit. That "marginal" (yeah right) party called UKIP has cooked Brexit for way longer than Juncker's mandate. You and other Brexiteers made it plenty clear that no deal could have stopped UK because you want independence first and foremost. And EU is about common decisions even if not all and each of them fit every country at all times.
For sure it was a factor. It was the start of the EU saying we will ignore the concerns of the UK. The UK and Hungary explicitly said that they did not want Juncker to be the Commission President. In the past this decision had been decided by unanimity of the EU member states. Even David Cameron said at the time that if Juncker is appointed President then the UK could leave the EU. When Cameron went back to negotiate the conditions of the UK's membership of the EU with the likes of Juncker he was sent off packing again as the EU didn't take seriously the threat of Brexit.

I won't comment on the rest of your post as to be honest, I don't really understand the point you're trying to make.