View Single Post
Old 19.12.2018, 21:55
Forum Legend

Groaned at 339 Times in 277 Posts
Thanked 14,957 Times in 7,684 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
First of all: Holland is a region in the Netherlands.

Second: We did not have referendums by then, and we only had them for a short period of time and the law to get rid of them has already been accepted. We had a short period of non binding referendums that the government rapidly disbanded since they did not like the outcomes which showed that they twice went completely against the outcome which had very clear majorities.

Third: I voted party's that were against the EU

Fourth: We never joined the EU, we joined Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg and West Germany in founding the European Coal and Steel Community which eventually grew out to become the EU, I was not around in those days but if so I would have been pro since this only aimed to regulate the industrial production, just like later the EEC had so many good things to offer that I always have been pro. But those were controlled by the countries instead of acting like an independent higher government.

Next please.....
Yeah, you must know very well that Holland is very often informally used for the whole country not only for the region...but if you prefer.

Exactly. It's one of the original members who had a say or could have had a say in pretty much every issue right from the start. At least the British have a reason to complain! Well not really, of course, but for the sake of the argument.

I don't think this issue it's worth a flame war on EF. You, me, everyone here is too small to change anything other than by (hopefully) our vote, when or if given the opportunity.
I guess I refrained too much and too often on this forum to comment on many things and there came a day when I saw yet another posts of a sort. I'm disappointed by this whole thing, all these discussions, I guess it's not really your fault for having your opinion. Let's leave it at that.