View Single Post
Old 26.12.2018, 11:25
Forum Legend

Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,594 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Both parents sick with gastro, help at home needed.

During holidays, our Paediatrician puts an answering machine message for the emergency doctor's advice line. In Zurich, there is a helpline where they can give basic health advice and then recommend either the hospital or a paediatrician 'on call'. For sick adults, I would do the same - call your family doctor and if they are not available, there should be an answering service to find a doctor 'on call'.

And as others have said, the red cross does have an emergency help system as well.

Best of luck. Drink plenty of fluids and keep on breastfeeding - your baby won't catch it from your milk. Your milk has antibodies for the illness and typically they won't catch it - my 18 month old got nasty nasty E.Coli when he was around 18 months and we had to go to emergency (he lost more than 10% of his bodyweight in 5 days) and they told me the only reason he was not going to be admitted was breastfeeding - if he was not breastfed they would have had to put him on a drip because formula-fed babies can't be fed formula when they have severe gastro. they need rehydration via the drip, whereas even though he was vomiting with every feed, he was still well-hydrated because the breastmilk has all these other things in it that help...
This user would like to thank swisspea for this useful post: