View Single Post
Old 02.01.2019, 15:24
Moderately Amused

Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 14,767 Times in 6,802 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
RIP Forum Legend Sbrinz

Dear EF friends,

It is with a sad heart I write today to inform you that long-time English Forum member Sbrinz passed away over the weekend.

His online persona made him come across as a bit of a curmudgeon sometimes, but in real life he enjoyed meeting for a beer and a chat, and especially a laugh. He was always willing to help out someone in need, whether he knew them well or not. I never fully understood his British sense of humor, though.

In keeping with his generous personality, he has donated his body to the local university for study. If anyone wishes further info, you can contact me via private message.

English Forum is more than the words we see on the screen, which new members don't always know or realize. I think these in-person interactions are part of what keeps us going (okay, that and newbies with repeat questions) . Many of us know each other out here in the real world, and that's a good thing. I hope it continues.

In founding the EF Bern Dinner Club, Sbrinz was part of the spreading of EF from an online venue to a place where people connect face-to-face. Many folks have come to the dinners and were surprised to learn the club was run by a pensioner. They often asked why he started the club, where most of the attendees wound up being young enough to be his children or grandchildren. He replied that he likes to chat and meet people in real life, so why wouldn't others too, regardless of age?

Our club is the only remaining EF event that occurs on a regular basis that has never been moved to any other website. Sbrinz was proud of that. He was proud to run it as a true social event "by EF members, for EF members". I have been running the club during his illness, and will continue to run it in honor of his memory. Without this club, I wouldn't have met some wonderful people I now call friend, and I wouldn't have found my job.

I don't know how to adequately sum up his life in a few words, and it's not my place to share his life story here. All I know is that I'm lucky to have called him friend, and I'm a better person for having known him.

Rest in peace, dear friend.
Love and respect.

The following 164 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
22 yards, ambypower, amogles, Anjela, anthonydouglas, araqyl, azt33, Belgianmum, Big Mara, Blueangel, borntough, bowlie, Busby, Caleb, carlasmom, Castro, Chemmie, chicofranchico, Chuff, coolcd, countrybumpkin, Crofty, Crumbs, curley, Dack Rambo, dbucar, Dechen01, Deep Purple, dizzydee, Don Molina, Downerbuzz, EastEnders, edot, EdwinNL, Enaj, EPMike, etin, fatmanfilms, fduvall, Fish Paste, flow23, FMX, FunnyBone, Fuzzhead, gata, GenevaSculler, gohabs, Greenhill, grnfish, grumpygrapefruit, hairybadger, hans1, Hausamsee, Helm, henk, hof86, Homer, Idgie, irish_temptation, jacek, Jaceq, JagWaugh, jbrady, JN4125, JollyHappyGal, Joolie, JourneyMan, jsherk, Just_A_Mutt, Kaeso, Khaia, Kittster, KiwiSteve, kkmm, k_and_e, Lausannebrit, lesCA, marischi, Markarina, MarkL2005, martin959, MathNut, McTAVGE, meloncollie, Mélusine, mgosia, MidfieldGeneral, Mikers, Miostar, mirfield, mkhisg, moggy, mojo, Mr. Happy, MsWorWoo, MusicChick, njusta83, Odile, oferet, Oldhand, olygirl, Ouchboy, Pachyderm, PaddyG, Papa Goose, parnell, Patxi, Plau Deri, prof. taratonga, proksy, psp, rainer_d, reids, Riana22, Rob, robBob, roegner, RufusB, sandaleen, Sandgrounder, simonminissale, simple_person, Sky, slammer, smackerjack, Smith13, Snoopy, st2lemans, StelladOriente, suissa, sva, swiss bill, swissnyc, swissotter, swisspea, Swisstobe, Swisstree, Tasebo, tesso, thekman, TheOtherMilanoMari, TheSpouse, The_Love_Doctor, ThomasSSS, tildaoz, Tilia, TinyK, TobiasM, Tom1234, Tox_Rat, Trailing Hubby, Tuborg, TwentyEightTripsLater, Urs Max, US Alien, vanjaar, Verne, Village Idiot, WALL-E, yacek, zanskar, ZuriRollt