View Single Post
Old 14.01.2019, 11:16
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Now she's mentioning publicly what I think she might have wanted all along, a 2nd referendum (although I can't see parliament allowing it). And still, the whole thing is a farce.
Utter farce, and I'm not 100% sure this is the best way to go.

To my mind, a huge part of the issue is that the UK has a representative democracy, yet employed the tool of direct democracy to make a decision that would never have got through parliament. We're asking MPs from Remain constituencies to represent the will of people who didn't elect them, and the constituencies used for GEs and the referendum don't even correlate. The logical path of responsibility entirely breaks down. At the end of 5yrs, if things go tits up, we would normally vote out the people who made bad decisions. If those people are us, where do we go from there?

On the other hand, now that Mercer and Co. have won 'the prize' they were aiming for (the Presidency), and bearing in mind that some (at least) members of the public are now wise to this, would the same data exploitation tactics be employed? From what I see, there's been no let up in the social media targetted adverts, maybe in an effort to harden the resolve of the core voters.
The following 5 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post: