View Single Post
Old 22.01.2019, 11:38

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
brunobriner has no particular reputation at present
Re: IPv6 in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
After seeing a post about a company only offering IPv6, I was wondering how this is progressing.

Remember years ago when I used Swisscom, that you could setup your Swisscom router to enable IPv6.

My current Cable Internet service company say they are not yet planning to support IPv6 as they have sufficient IPv4 addresses available.

I guess even when the internet connection switches to IPv6 any devices connecting over wireless/wired in your house could continue to use IPv4 and is then translated/transmitted over the IPv6 address of your internet connection.
Just to clarify, InterXS offers native Prefix Delegation IPv6 and NATed IPv4 so as standard all devices from InterXS customer will have both IPv6 and IPv4 connectivity so in principle no loss for the majority of the people. No translation from IPv4 to IPv6 exists (AFAIK there is no such thing as IPv4 to IPv6 translation)

When your Cable Internet provider starts offering you IPv6 the same will happen, you devices will have at least one IPv6 and a NATed IPv4 (your router will do the NAT), so no translation. You will then be able to access IPv4 only and IPv6 only services in the net.