View Single Post
Old 22.01.2019, 15:33
Forum Legend

Groaned at 494 Times in 394 Posts
Thanked 22,075 Times in 8,977 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bye bye Billag [Welcome our new overlord Serafe]

Television (in the form the Swiss voted for) is so 20th Century. Media business models have changed so much since then.

Expensive infrastructure like it used to is no longer needed.

I pay for online Newspaper subscriptions. I understand that and although I miss a physical newspaper - I can still get news when I want it.

I can also have other newspapers free with the added distraction of advertising.

It's not as if there's a decent Swiss (German-speaking) news and current affairs radio station (if there is and I've missed it, then please let me know).

If I want to listen to music, I'd rather listen to my own choice of music and not that of some radio DJ.

Don't get me started on TV. I have friends in the industry who make documentaries - as long as it's not something expensive like D-Attenborough's Life on Earth (which nevertheless paid for itself easily with syndication, PPV and DVD sales), then the equipment and manpower needed nowadays for local current affairs programmes is really pretty basic. (Entire Hollywood feature films have been filmed on iPhones, for example).

20minutes manages to get its news videos for next to nothing from Joe Public.

Maybe the Swiss public voted in the way they did as they are misinformed and do not understand the technology (rather like the U.K. public were on Brexit issues)?