View Single Post
Old 29.01.2019, 17:55
Forum Legend

Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,531 Times in 7,466 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
I'm not so sure. People can just be over sensitive or try to use extreme language for no real reason. A recent example on here was where I pointed out that the media could take the initiative to tone down the hate, and fact-free narrative they are churning out to garner clicks and shares. Loz took this to mean that I was advocating an authoritarian, book-burning dystopia.

I think the way things are these days, it appears it's now acceptable to sort of "hystericalise", for want of a better word, someone else's point to make your own point more valid-sounding.
Reasonable opinions are appealing to reasonable people, online and offline.

The book-burning dystopia made me chuckle actually because slowly but surely we'll be there. I don't think that reading is a favourite pastime of that many people. Kids use wikipedia or the internet in general as their main sources of information, even adults no problem... Hence the success of a certain type of media. And I don't believe a second people just read it for amusement. Something stays there.

Last edited by greenmount; 29.01.2019 at 18:06.