View Single Post
Old 31.01.2019, 08:08
Forum Legend

Groaned at 205 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 20,451 Times in 8,436 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The problem is the electoral roll is not kept properly up to date in the UK. If no one at your old address subsequently takes you off it, you can potentially stay on it for years, possibly decades. I guess this is why it was possible for people like myself still to receive a vote.
That only works if you know somebody who is still living at the address and who forwards the voting papers on to you.

I was still on the electoral roll at my parents house even after we left the UK until Maggie and the infamous poll tax came along. I was swiftly removed by my father once the possibility of having to pay depending on the number of adults living in the household cane along.

After that I was registered as an overseas voter based on my last place of residence and continued to exercise my right to vote right up until the 15 year limit.

Quote:
View Post
I'm outraged on your behalf. Why on earth are you not allowed to vote even if you've been outside of your own country for a longer period? I haven't heard of this type of rules before, so I'm really surprised. I don't see any sense in this.
It is ridiculous.

When we lived in Belgium as we were EU nationals we had the right to vote in the local and EU elections but not the national ones although we could still vote in the UK general elections until the 15 years expired.

Once we moved here to Switzerland we had no voting rights anywhere in any country. We had lost the UK rights so couldn’t vote there and until we had been here for 5 years and got our C permits we had no right to vote in Switzerland either. Now we can vote in the cantonal and communal votes here.
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post: