View Single Post
Old 31.01.2019, 11:46
Forum Legend

Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,531 Times in 7,466 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post

It is ridiculous.

When we lived in Belgium as we were EU nationals we had the right to vote in the local and EU elections but not the national ones although we could still vote in the UK general elections until the 15 years expired.

Once we moved here to Switzerland we had no voting rights anywhere in any country. We had lost the UK rights so couldn’t vote there and until we had been here for 5 years and got our C permits we had no right to vote in Switzerland either. Now we can vote in the cantonal and communal votes here.
It's obviously good that you can vote at least here albeit probably not when more important issues are at stake, but I can't get past this ridiculous situation - not to be allowed to vote in general elections, referendums of your birth country and the one from which you're still holding a passport. All I can say is I hope this thing will change in the future because it's not fair at all.
The following 3 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post: