View Single Post
Old 05.02.2019, 09:11
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 84 Times in 50 Posts
DL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputation
Re: Electrical standards

Useful document - thanks. I had an inspection done when I bought the house a couple of years ago. There are various types of inspection and I had the full 20 year type done. It was fine. It is more or less ok for the period - I’m just surprised that what was consider ok in the 70s is still acceptable.

Shared or crossed neutrals is a relatively common problem from that period too. It just means that a neutral has been used (usually for a light) that has come from different circuit (MCB) as the live. It works but if you try to fit an RCD to the circuit there is a current imbalance between the live and neutral (because it’s returning via another neutral) and so the RCD immediately trips.

It’s mostly the circuits that run outside the house that have issues. And loads of extra equipment just left installed from previous archaic heating and pool control systems that are no longer in use. Not sure why they just left all that in place.

The other question I have was on these weird big sealed relay type devices that feed the washing machine, dishwasher and sauna. They are switched by a sort of extra sealed meter without any counters. I suppose they are something to do with controlling times when the devices can be on. But they are always on and the house is a long way from any neighbours. They make quite a hum and can’t be very efficient. Are they a legal requirement? And if so with what purpose since they are always on?

Last edited by DL21; 05.02.2019 at 09:24.
This user would like to thank DL21 for this useful post: