View Single Post
Old 11.02.2019, 13:19
Forum Legend

Groaned at 293 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 18,422 Times in 6,445 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's not a question of being too stupid - we can't all be experts in everything.

How many people here vote in a referendum without clearly understanding all or any of the issues?

How many vote thinking they understand the issues - but clearly don't?

How many don't vote because they don't have enough time to understand all the issues?

My Swiss wife doesn't vote in a lot of referendums here because she feels she can't often give enough time to understand the issues she's been asked to vote on.

The other issue with direct democracy is that people can vote selfishly - without thinking (or caring about) the effect on future generations or those less fortunate than themselves.

I'm not saying that direct democracy is a bad thing as on balance, it appears to be working here but it's not without its faults.

I agree that this only happens in direct democracies. In represented democracies, every voter understands what parties and candidates stand for and also people don't vote selfishly but choose whatever is best for everybody.