View Single Post
Old 15.02.2019, 10:42
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 183 Times in 131 Posts
Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,281 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Again - that statement was only a couple of weeks ago and has nothing to do with the A380 announcement. The statement remains valid and is to be seen over a 10+ year horizon.

Aircraft wing manufacture is complex and a very long-term process. Airbus were particularly talking about the next generation A320 wing which will require new tooling and production lines and from which the UK now stands a high chance of being excluded. However that will only impact from about 2030.

As I have said on here before, I don't particularly hold with many of the March 29 doom scenarios., at least for manufacturing. Depending on industry and investment horizon there will be a steady movement of production away from the UK but this will take from 6 months to 10+ years.

The more immediate impact however will be on the services sector. This is much more mobile and - depending on form of Brexit - could (not will) lead to a much more immediate hit as companies relocate management, marketing and financial functions out of the UK. Probably not affecting a massive number of actual people but moving a very large financial and tax base out of the UK.

Exactly, there are a multitude of factors at play in the decision to stop the manufacture of a plane that cost billions to develop. My point is that Brexit is going to shape the global economy not just Britains and there is a lot of uncertainty in the world at the moment.