View Single Post
Old 16.02.2019, 21:14
Forum Legend

Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,196 Times in 9,678 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
I can count the enthusiastic English EU citizens I know personally on the fingers of one hand.

On the other hand, I know several dozen pragmatic "Better In Than Out" supporters who voted Remain for practical reasons.

There isn't any great love for the EU in England, even amongst Remainers.
Surprisingly I find myself agreeing with you! Nobody loves the EU.
That does raise the question is loving the EU either necessary or a prerequisite?

All the years I lived in the UK and voted I always voted for the least worst candidate; none of the candidates or political parties ever really excited me!

Reason I am Remain is that is for me the least worst solution, not the best solution. The EU offers economies of scale that cannot be replicated by the UK.
The business model of building complex results out of components built in different EU countries with friction less and duty free deliveries will likely no longer be available to the UK.

The people who voted for Brexit for jingoistic reasons will be disappointed; Britannia will never rule the seas again or fish more fish.
Not pointing at you DB, you did your research.

So far there is little evidence that UK will succeed to negotiate better deals with third countries than those currently available via EU membership; best deal publicised so far is with Switzerland but even that falls short of the existing bilateral.