View Single Post
Old 25.02.2019, 19:30
Forum Legend

Groaned at 463 Times in 380 Posts
Thanked 18,474 Times in 9,344 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Go back to your own country, anyone else hear this?

Quote:
View Post
This makes me feel both a little sad for you, and want to commend you on asking about it.

I agree with many other posters here: yes, I have been told to go back to my country, but no, it is not at all common in my life in Switzerland.

When I was relatively new here and mentioned at work that I didn't like the way people treated me, my Swiss manager was surprised, and offered to come out for a walk with me. We separated, so she could observe my interactions, and thereafter she was able to offer me some frank criticism of my behaviour. All of the things she'd noticed would have been normal, friendly, polite or polite-enough behaviour where I'd grown up, but some, she explained to me, were not tge right manner(s) here. Her criticism must have been accurate, and my subsequent slight modifications, too, since the issues quickly stopped.

Perhaps you could find someone local (whom you know and trust to give you honest feedback) who would be prepared to watch you interacting "out there in real life" and tell you honestly if you are perhaps inadvertently pressing local people's buttons, as it were, provoking a negative reaction. Good luck!

Your boss was very sweet. Not many people would offer themselves volunteers for this type of experiment. Maybe would be sufficient to just ask some local friends, colleagues etc about how things are done here if one is not sure or notices some weird reactions. People are not absurd, most can accept a bit of peculiarity. Not too much though....a bit... :-)
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post: