Thread: RAW Dog food
View Single Post
Old 03.03.2019, 09:39
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,269 Times in 7,884 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAW Dog food

Oh my, he's a cutie!

---

I don't feed raw, so please take this as information only, not as recommendations.

Raw diet is usually called BARF in Switzerland - Bones And Raw Food, or Biologisches Artgerechtes Rohes Futter - so use this term as you search for sources.

Two main stream stores offering BARF options are Meiko ( www.meiko.ch ) And Fressnapf ( www.fressnapf.ch ) The third big retailer, Qualipet, might as well, although I don't shop there so can't say.

The Meiko retail store I go to has a larger selection of frozen meat than available on their website, and from a very quick look it seems Fressnapf doesn't sell their frozen meat online, only the supplements, but most Fressnapf outlets have a freezer case, look there.

As you start out, perhaps go to the retail store for the meat/bones rather than online - you need to judge the quality for yourself.

Goldenway, a smaller store, carries a fairly large selection. ( goldenway.ch )

Zooplus, an online-only, also carried a selection of BARF supplements.

If you google BARF Hundefutter you will find many online options - but some are stores I don't recognise, so a healthy dose of due diligence is needed. (This applies to much of Swiss pet-based online shopping...)

---

Your best bet for the meat and bones might actually be your local butcher. Quality of ingredients is key to a good food, no matter if you feed BARF, canned, dry, or home cooked. A BARF diet made up of rotten meat defeats the purpose, so make sure your meat source is trustworthy.

---

As you start out on a BARF diet, do speak with your vet. Your dog is growing, getting the nutrition right is key. Over/under/incorrect supplementation can have more of an affect on a young pup than it would on an adult dog. If your breeder has a diet spelled out, take that to your vet for evaluation.

---

All the best to you and your gorgeous pup!
The following 4 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: