Thread: RAW Dog food
View Single Post
Old 04.03.2019, 12:38
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,310 Times in 7,892 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAW Dog food

I, too, feed grain-free foods (Terra Canis) as part of the Muttley Crew's diet and am pleased with how they are doing.

However, one should be aware of a controversy brewing over BEG (Boutique, Exotic, Grain-free) diets, and discuss this with your own vet.

Last year the US FDA took the unusual step of issuing a memo highlighting a trend/correlation between what they identified as grain-free diets and an increased incidence of dilated cardiomyopathy, DCM.

Now - it MUST be said that research is in the early stages, and many questions remain. While the memo singled out grain-free diets, the emphasis seemed to be not that grain itself was healthy/needed but rather that some vegetables and/or potatoes used to provide carbohydrates in lieu of grains might - emphasis on 'might' - be linked to the trends vets are starting to report. At first there was thought to be a link to blocking production of taurine, but even that is now being questioned.

I'm bringing this up not as an anti-grain-free post, afterall I have decided to keep on feeding the grain-free brand along with a product containing grain (Magnusson) and a bit of home cooked, as I have always done... for now. However, I am trying to stay abreast of new developments in this controversy and keeping an open mind. Most importantly, I am keeping the discussion going with my vets. And I would encourage all dog owners to do so, too.

Last edited by meloncollie; 04.03.2019 at 12:54.
The following 3 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: