View Single Post
Old 13.03.2019, 10:47
Caryl Caryl is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Port-Valais (was SFO)
Posts: 312
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 204 Times in 113 Posts
Caryl has earned the respect of manyCaryl has earned the respect of manyCaryl has earned the respect of many
Re: British citizen in Switzerland - marriage abroad - documents

View Post
I need to obtain a Certificate of no impediment, but so far I have only found one way: Going to the UK and staying there for 9 days (minimum), then requesting it at a UK register office.
There is nothing said here about a Certificate of no impediment. However every Mexican State (like every U.S. one) has its own requirements.

Many years ago when I crossed into Ciudad Juárez with my then fiancée (back then it was quite safe) there were touts offering divorces ... or quickie marriages. But I note that if one is marrying a Mexican citizen things are different.

My own experience (i.e. by British friends) relates to a Protestant wedding in Denmark and a Jewish wedding in England (under the Jewish provisions of the Marriage Act 1949: the documentation in by the synagogue not the Register Office). In both cases as you said there was a waiting period. In the first case a document was issued valid in Denmark, in the second a licence valid for the synagogue with a check by an authorised (i.e. trained) Registrar for valid marriage visa. But nobody asked for evidence that the couple had actually been in England for 9 days though the entry stamp on the visa might have mattered.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Caryl for this useful post: