View Single Post
Old 13.03.2019, 15:09
moggy's Avatar
moggy moggy is offline
Forum Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,603
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 872 Times in 572 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: British citizen in Switzerland - marriage abroad - documents

Can I suggest you look at the details on line of whatever Council in UK you would be looking to acquire this document to see what is required and how you may be able to supply whatever.

I believe what you need to look up is 'Give Notice of Marriage' in the Births, deaths & Marriage and Civil Partnership section

From memory I had to make appointment, approximately 2 weeks in advance, i.e. first available.

By chance my OH was in UK at the time of that appointment and came with me, though not sure if it was necessary. Supplied whatever documents and paid money.

Document then put in a Lever Arch file and anyone could come in and view for X amount of days (I remember wondering what a disappointment for wedding supply sellers, photographers etc). About a decade ago, so maybe changed, possible now viewable online.

Later (some days later or a couple of weeks) went back alone with receipt and picked up document.

As marriage outside of UK I also needed to get the 'Apostille' thingy for that country of marriage.

I believe I made a trip to a Government office about 10 / 15 minutes' walk from Welwyn Garden City for the Apostille. Cost ca 3035 per document. Took about 15 minutes waiting. Think they have to look up the signature on the document is listed with their files and matches their specimen signature.

It can be done on line or through a company.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank moggy for this useful post: