View Single Post
Old 13.03.2019, 16:44
ThomasSSS ThomasSSS is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 491
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 405 Times in 235 Posts
ThomasSSS has an excellent reputationThomasSSS has an excellent reputationThomasSSS has an excellent reputationThomasSSS has an excellent reputation
Re: Do I need the Residence Permit B to rent an apartment?

As an EU national, I wouldn't expect any serious permit questions from potential landlords. They are almost certainly aware that for a permit you'll just need an address (e.g. a rental contract) and a job (e.g. a work contract).

I'm trying to remember, but even as an American I believe that an employment confirmation letter from my employer was sufficient to get the ball rolling and make apartment applications.

Also, when I first arrived, I had 1 month of temporary accommodation (furnished apartment) provided by my employer. Because this contract was in the name of my employer, the Kreisbüro requested a statement from my employer stating that I was allowed to be there. However, this was not a problem - I think that our HR department had see this before. Later it was no issue to de-register and re-register as for any other sort of relocation. So in at least one case (though some years back), Zurich was willing to register somebody with what was obviously a 1-month housing contract.
Reply With Quote