View Single Post
Old 14.03.2019, 08:32
Forum Legend

Groaned at 101 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,645 Times in 2,479 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would *you* pass the Gymi entry test?

My son took the test earlier this week and we await the result.

The material in the exams is ahead of what is covered in the normal course of teaching in 5th and 6th grade primary. In the maths, there are some aspects that we (UK in the early 1980s) only covered at O and A-level. For example simultaneous equations with more than two variables, bisecting angles and lines with a compass. No idea when the same topics are covered in the normal school setting.

There are 10 questions to be completed in an hour - in spite of my quasi mathematical background I found it quite tough to complete a question within 6 minutes.

My sonís school had an additional coaching session for hopefuls on Wednesday afternoons to go over past papers. I have no idea how many parents paid for private tuition. My wife and I have enough of an academic background that we could help give my son hints on how to tackle the questions.

Gymnasium itself is quite high stress I believe - the pupils have to keep their grade averages up or be busted to Sek.

Cheers,
Nick

The following 2 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post: