View Single Post
Old 14.03.2019, 11:56
Forum Legend

Groaned at 118 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 5,239 Times in 2,475 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
AFAIK the ruling covered the UK's authority to withdraw the Article 50 notice unilaterally which is now clear and not disputed.

However, also AFAIK (and I just read a summary of the ruling not the ruling itself), it didn't address and wasn't asked to address a bad faith withdrawal - i.e. withdrawal followed by a new 2 year notice a day or 2 later. I read legal opinion (not a ruling) before the judgement suggesting the withdrawal would likely be declared invalid. But until a ruling actually happens (again I do not believe this has been the case but please correct if I'm wrong) no-one knows. Probably depends on the interval between the two events.
That was part of the Commission’s original reason for opposing it. I don’t think that anything can be done to prevent the U.K. rejoining. But their voting rights could be suspended if they did not act in good faith.