View Single Post
Old 15.03.2019, 00:26
Forum Legend

Groaned at 74 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 11,019 Times in 4,483 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Therapy needed for depression/anxiety

Quote:
View Post
Self regulation is about knowing what I need to do for me. It is about self care. How can I affect myself rather that trying to make it happen. Rather the depending on something or someone..
Quote:
View Post
If you are prepared to do some work rather than looking for a quick fix it works.
It strikes me as inappropriate and peculiarly harsh whenever people with a mental health issue are told to just take control, just be self-detetmined, just go for a brisk walk, meditate, eat salads, research all options thoroughly, make it happen, and be independent. And that if they haven't succeeded in this yet, it is clearly because they weren't prepared to put in the effort.

How very odd, and not adequate to the disorders (including but not only depression and anxiety) nor, as I've observed it, respectful towards the sufferer.

With very rare exceptions (those who gloried in the drama of feeling bad and created cascades of dramatic events to keep the fire burning), I think that everyone I've ever met who had psychological/psychiatric problems knew, with the remaining parts of their hearts that they could still access, what they wanted: to be well. They wanted to be in charge of their own lives, independent of others. They wanted to have the ability to process information, take decisions, and be useful and effective in making good things happen, without needing to rely on others and without being unnecessarily restricted by them. They wanted to be taken seriously in their efforts, insufficient though those may seem to outside critics.

Most of them were already trying, (or had tried) as best they knew how, to attain that balance and sovereignty.

To me, sweeping the anxious amongst them into this homogeneous view seems dangerous.
Quote:
View Post
.... people with high anxiety they become perfectionists and have trouble admitting this until they burnout. They are highly driven and often use alcohol or drugs to turn off.

Yes, cognitive behavioural therapy can work. For some just a little, for others life-changingly, or during one phase of one's life but not in another, and for others not at all. Same for any method including medication or talking therapies or touch therapies.

Back to OP: because I believe it is disrespectful to the individual's personal mix of dis-ease to make so bold as to promote any one method to the exclusion of others, I recommend that in your search for a psychotherapist, you collect recommendations and then google the person throughly... if you can muster the energy to so do. Therapists whose profiles show their training to be eclectic tend to be less subscribed to one technique and more versatile. I think that's an advantage, especially for a client/patient who has some mix of background and culture.

Last edited by doropfiz; 15.03.2019 at 00:39.
The following 5 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: