View Single Post
Old 15.03.2019, 01:05
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 58 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,546 Times in 604 Posts
terrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Therapy needed for depression/anxiety

Quote:
View Post
It strikes me as inappropriate and peculiarly harsh whenever people with a mental health issue are told to just take control, just be self-detetmined, just go for a brisk walk, meditate, eat salads, research all options thoroughly, make it happen, and be independent. And that if they haven't succeeded in this yet, it is clearly because they weren't prepared to put in the effort.

How very odd, and not adequate to the disorders (including but not only depression and anxiety) nor, as I've observed it, respectful towards the sufferer.

With very rare exceptions (those who gloried in the drama of feeling bad and created cascades of dramatic events to keep the fire burning), I think that everyone I've ever met who had psychological/psychiatric problems knew, with the remaining parts of their hearts that they could still access, what they wanted: to be well. They wanted to be in charge of their own lives, independent of others. They wanted to have the ability to process information, take decisions, and be useful and effective in making good things happen, without needing to rely on others and without being unnecessarily restricted by them. They wanted to be taken seriously in their efforts, insufficient though those may seem to outside critics.

Most of them were already trying, (or had tried) as best they knew how, to attain that balance and sovereignty.

To me, sweeping the anxious amongst them into this homogeneous view seems dangerous.

Yes, cognitive behavioural therapy can work. For some just a little, for others life-changingly, or during one phase of one's life but not in another, and for others not at all. Same for any method including medication or talking therapies or touch therapies. It is disrespectful to the individual's personal mix of dis-ease to make so bold as to promote any one method to the exclusion of others.

Back to OP: in your search for a psychotherapist, I'd recommend collecting recommendations and then googling the person throughly. Therapists whose profiles show their training to be eclectic tend to be less subsribed to one technique and more versatile. I think that's an advantage.
Excellent post-Doropfiz and I completely agree. The one thing I would emphasize is to do one's research. Finding a good therapist for our daughter was like finding a needle in a haystack. We went through many and finally found a good one. I think the issue is: a therapist who works for one may not work for another. It is so relative and based on the individual. We let our daughter "call the shots" so to speak as it is her life/her wellbeing and at the end of the day, to be frank, we were clueless. She alone needed to have "control" as to the therapist whom she felt was the right one for her.

I use the word "control" here as many who suffer from PTSD and trauma struggle with this issue. As an aside, my daughter has made a lot of progress with CBT thanks to her therapist. That said, she still struggles with self-esteem, confidence, and anxiety at times. But I count our blessings on finding a good therapist for her; with his help and her hard work, she has made tremendous strides.

How are you doing Citeradeuse/OP?

Thinking of you!
The following 7 users would like to thank terrifisch for this useful post: