View Single Post
Old 16.03.2019, 15:33
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would *you* pass the Gymi entry test?

Quote:
View Post
Gymnasium itself is quite high stress I believe - the pupils have to keep their grade averages up or be busted to Sek.

Cheers,
Nick
iirc: They have at least two tests each week for six months of school. Each minus point (below 4) has to be compensated for by two plus points (above 4). They have to finish the semester without a zero or positive number of points - and even with zero you might be out, if there are too many others with positive points.
Put bluntly: the purpose of the six-month probation is to remove about a third of the kids from the group. Otherwise they'll have too many students in the school.

Quote:
View Post
I thought it was still the case that the kids had to be referred for the exam by the teacher. I certainly wouldn't have gone through the pain and stress of the prep if the teacher hadn't first pointed it out at the Elterngespräch.
Kids don't have to be referred by the class teacher to try the Gymi test.
There is a form which the current class teacher has to sign, confirming that the child is registered at their school - this is not a recommendation, and I imagine there'd be a few legal cases if any teacher refused to sign it (I also can't imagine a teacher being bothered refusing to sign it, since it is the child and parents who will have to go through the pain and suffering of struggling so hard in order to fail).

My kids' teachers suggested that they not go for the Gymi test, since their German was still not good enough at that point (and one of them was not really suited to that style of learning).
One has finished the FMS (Fachmittelschule - a more "applied" form of Gymnasium, with a different focus and lower academic/testing requirements) and the other is in the IMS (Informatikmittelschule - IT Gymi), both of which they applied for after their third year in the Sek.
Far less stress, especially with admin staff who advised us on which strategies would best help our children remain in the school, rather than setting standards our children would have to struggle to maintain or be out.
This user would like to thank araqyl for this useful post: