View Single Post
Old 17.03.2019, 15:48
Forum Legend

Groaned at 301 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 12,514 Times in 6,534 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Give them back their lives [politicization of young people]

Quote:
View Post
Not to virtue signal, but I already lead a basically non- consumer lifestyle. My clothes are mostly second hand, I'm basically vegan, I drive less than 1000k a year, I haven't heated my apartment at all this winter, and I grow as much of my own food as I'm able. It doesn't make a difference at all, really, except for making me feel better.

For instance, a study was done by MIT to calculate carbon footprints across a range of lifestyles In the USA. Even a homeless dumpster diving Buddhist monk puts out more than 8 tons of CO2 a year, even if just using libraries, roads, medical facilities, wearing clothes, etc.

Personal lifestyle choices don't mean so much in the big picture, apart from private jets and similar absurdities. There's no such thing as 'better for the environment'. We need a massive overhaul of the energy system,.collectively. No layman can just build a carbon capture plant in their backyard
Is that the biggest fear now - being accused of virtue signalling...You can virtue signal all what you want as long as you live by your words.

As for the rest, I partially agree with you. There is such a thing better for the environment and small personal challenges mean something when cumulated. As well as those on a corporate level, country, regional level. Of course, the biggest challenge is finding viable renewable energy sources but saying that our efforts mean shit is not exactly accurate.

Btw, on a different note - those who want a reduction in population growth should start by not bringing new human lives into the world. Just saying.