View Single Post
Old 19.03.2019, 12:02
Forum Legend

Groaned at 90 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 9,510 Times in 4,303 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Not only that, the precedent is so well established that it hardly has to be invoked these days because that procedure is followed almost without exception; once something is voted down, it isn't brought back in the same session of parliament. One notable exception at the mo of course
Exactly, and it's not the first time the PM has tried to bend procedure in her favour.

Some are saying that this is occasion an exception because it's an extended session of Parliament, but I firmly believe that whoever is advising the PM should see their arse for this. Bercow has spent the weekend doing his homework and taking advice, whereas the government have spent the weekend trying to appease (bribe?) the DUP, amongst others. The phenomenal waste of a limited time scale is scandalous.

The EU have been very clear that the PM should reach across the house in an effort to move forward. To my mind, that should have happened on day 1. The PM should have formed a consensus on the aspects of leaving that were commonly held goals across the house and with the EU. She should have got those aspects agreed and firmly wrapped up before moving on to the more contentious issues. Every successful negotiation I've been involved with began that way, but noooooo..... She's gone into the steak restaurant and said "I don't want steak. I don't want meat. I don't want fish. I don't want cheese. I don't want sauces. I don't want potatoes." etc... and the EU has said "Fine. Take your green leaf salad and eff off!"
The following 4 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post: