View Single Post
Old 22.03.2019, 08:13
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,385 Times in 634 Posts
RTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond reputeRTN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zoning: Converting restaurant to housing?

Quote:
View Post
Very useful, thanks.

Have continued searching, and now found one that has stables on the ground floor. I followed your advice, and spoke to the gemainde... who said that the stables form part of the (ground floor) cellar, and cannot be converted to living space, which sucks.

Does anyone have any idea what the costs of bulldozing and rebuilding a house are? (3 floors + 1 underground cellar, about 100sqm for each floor, not counting finishings. I.e. just walls, electrics, heating and roof)

Similarly, the estate agent seemed to think it's easier to rebuild than to convert existing non-habitable space (e.g. cellar, stables, etc)... has anyone done this in CH?

M.
I have done a conversion from barn to living area for another EF member so maybe they can advise on approval process. A "hobby room" is not considered part of the living space ;-)) See before pictures here. https://www.englishforum.ch/1443040-post34.html

It will be cheaper to renovate than build new and there are pluses and minus' for both. The first check I would do is to compare the current zoning regulations to the building at present in regard to building setback from the boundaries and height. It can be that you have plenty of available building volume but when you calculate the volume whilst complying with the setbacks the volume is considerably reduced so a renovation is the better option. Conversely if a lot of structural work is required then maybe new build is the better option.
This user would like to thank RTN for this useful post: