View Single Post
Old 03.04.2019, 21:40

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
DarkOrion has made some interesting contributions
Re: Came for a trial work day in a restaurant and they refuse ro pay me

A little off-topic here, but I was wondering if the following is legal or not.

A few months ago, I had an interview with one of the two big banks. It was for a rather technical/quant position, so before even going to the first interview, I was given a week to answer to some pretty mathematical / programming questions. It was not an easy or straightforward task, it took me about 30 hours to do this, as it involved writing code, collecting and cleaning data, doing post-processing and analysis, and finally writing a 35 page report in LaTeX.

After this, I was invited for three rounds of 1.5 hour interviews on three different days (the first one with the hiring manager, the second one with the managing director and the third one with the HR director).

All in all, I spent about 30 hours for the technical report, another 10 hours for the interview preparations and on top of that, I had to take 3 days of holidays from work to go to the interviews (as if they could not just put everything in one day).

In the end, I did not get the job, and the worst thing is that I never got a reply to my e-mail from either the Hiring Manager or the HR department.

Where does the law stand on this? Is it legal to ask a potential employee to dedicate so much work and effort on something like this, take so many days of holidays and then not compensate him?

P.S. Nothing was agreed upfront regarding a payment, but the process was not also clear from the beginning, nobody informed me that there would be 3 interviews, 2 to 3 weeks apart.
The following 4 users would like to thank DarkOrion for this useful post: