Thread: Car without MFK
View Single Post
Old 04.04.2019, 12:49
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 33 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,137 Times in 488 Posts
Don Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car without MFK

I would assume you mean this car.

This car doesn't have an MFK, not because it's not "road worthy", but because it's extensively modified. Depending on many things, that might make things easier, or infinitely worse.

wheels - should be about 150-250 to get a DTC cert for them
brakes no idea, you need to talk to a shop selling them and see if you can get papers
suspension is TEIN, quite popular, you should be able to find a CH distributor to get you a paper
exhaust you can do special test at MFK with no paper, but it's expensive, and big pipes on GTRs make a lot of noise, so could need a silencer in the can
Various engine stuff like intercooler, fuel pump should be actually ok without papers

All external modifications like front splitter/wing also go in the registration, and I don't know if you need a paper beforehand, or if they just get checked to comply during the MFK.

I think import tax is paid, so that's OK, but it's still a PITA to get everything put together. In any case, every piece of paper you'd need to pass MFK would cost anything from 150 to god-knows, so I'd first try to see the costs of these and then take a decision.

Other "road-worthiness" problems should be relatively OK, or maintenance items you should address anyway. Leaks could be annoying, but a good wash could pass you if they're not leaking a lot and quickly (in which case it again becomes a maintenance issue you should address anyway).

There are a lot of modified cars running around in CH, and I don't know how legal they are. Some have obvious things like removed pre-cats in their downpipes that will never pass MFK no matter what. But I've also seen cars for sale with multi-page grey cards with entries for mods.

No MFK doesn't necessarily mean catastrophic failure or death-trap. Last time I sold a car, it failed MFK for a headlight (that I'd have to buy new since I couldn't find a used one) and that was pretty much half the value of the car. So I sold it in Germany for decent money, and the guy exported it to Dubai where apparently a perfect beam pattern is not a big issue