View Single Post
Old 15.04.2019, 22:30
Forum Legend

Groaned at 317 Times in 252 Posts
Thanked 6,082 Times in 3,072 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Damned IKEA combination locks

Quote:
View Post
They are incredibly easy to open without knowing the combination.. But it's kinda hard to describe. I do in IKEA just for fun.

This does not require skill, just feel..
What you need to do, turn the knob so that you can feel light resistance, not forcing it.. Now turn the number, any order.. Feel for something different, it'll sort of feel like less resistance as it falls into it's correct position, do this while keeping the light pressure on.. Do it with each of the three wheels .. As you get the position of the last one it'll open.

Honestly it's that easy.. You just need to get/learn how it feels..

Same applies to 90% of locks like this, cheap bike locks, padlocks, suitcases etc.

Edit : Source - I spend a lot of time commuting .. I watch the youtube channels of the lock picking lawyer and bosnian bill
In addition since you forgot the step which wheel to pick first.

Put pressure on.

Then feel which one of the 3 wheels has the most resistance, this is the one the lock is pressing most, so start with that one. Keep pressure steady and try all numbers, on the right number you will feel that with steady pressure the pressure moved on to one of the remaining two wheels, so now set that one proper and do the last.

Don't know these exact IKEA locks, but a standard 3 number bike lock takes 10 second max to open. Can't imagine these lock to be of better quality.

Source: I grew up living in a Dutch town centre and preferred cycling above walking.

Also I am amazed how many people still use those locks in Switzerland, might as well not use a lock at all.
The following 2 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post: