View Single Post
Old 28.04.2019, 00:35
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 206 Times in 123 Posts
Troublawesome has made some interesting contributions
Re: Liberty vested benefit account?

Quote:
View Post
The part about not investing in equities unless you have at least a 5 year timespan for a start...

This account is intended to hold your pension funds between jobs... Lets say you become unemployed in January and put the funds into equities. Then in June you find a new job, but the equities are down 15%, you have I think it is a 3 month period in which to transfer the funds to your new employer's fund, what do you do? Sell at a loss and transfer the funds???

Now I know there are tricks to avoid having to move the whole fund to your new employer, the classic being that you pencil in the amount to transfer on the form and the foundation takes the hint. But the problem with that is that you end up being under ensured for disability benefits and a lower pension.

Unless you are in some kind of an unusual situation that you know you have no need to access the funds for a 5 to 7 year period, then it is a gamble.
In my case it's for my pension that I moved from the UK and it's in what used to be a QROPS account. I can't touch this until I'm 55 anyway under the new rules so it fits my objectives. Movin it from Liberty and its 0.52% TER to something free of charge sounds a lot better

But I still wonder if anyone has used this UBS account and if it is indeed so cheap?

Last edited by Troublawesome; 28.04.2019 at 00:46.