View Single Post
Old 09.05.2019, 13:12
Forum Legend

Groaned at 24 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 21,952 Times in 7,024 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a dog (in dog box) in and out of car

Necessity being the mother of invention...

While my old lady Hooligan and I were out walking today my knee gave out - and there was no way I could lift Hooligan, who can no longer jump, into the car. What to do?

I had a plastic box in the car, the kind of thing you use to keep all the junk in order. The box is about half the height to the boot of the car.

Similar to this:
https://www.bauundhobby.ch/maschinen...-60l/p/5684293

So I used the box turned upside down as a platform to get her into the car.

Hooligan can still do 'Vorderpfötli hoch', that is, put her front feet on a raised surface while her back feet remain on the ground. So with her front feet on the box, bearing a portion of her weight, I could then lift her back feet onto the box. (The handled Ruffwear harness helped.) While standing on the box, repeat to get her from the box into the car.

it's a lot easier when you only have to lift half the dog half way.

Which got me to thinking - there are even sturdier boxes available at most DIY stores in a variety of sizes, some foldable to store in less space. Cover the surface the dog stands on in a non-slip textured surface, maybe a rubber mat or carpet, and you have a fairly lightweight, double duty, inexpensive alternative to a ramp.

How is Miss Lily doing?
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: