View Single Post
Old 03.06.2019, 18:05
pablotano pablotano is offline
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Argentina
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pablotano has no particular reputation at present
EU national with B permit -- Non-eu spouse needs visa?

Hi everyone,

I am new in this forum, I looked for this topic but couldn't find a precise answer. Maybe someone has the relevant experience?

I am an Italian scientist and will be doing my PhD at the University of Geneva. There, my director is doing the paperwork so I can get an EU type B work/residence permit, and my non-EU wife gets a type B permit (dependent).

My wife is from Argentina, she does not need a Visa to stay up to 90 days. But she does need a visa to stay longer.

The question is: should my wife also apply to a Visa type D in Argentina, in addition to the dependent type B residence permit that we are applying directly in Geneva?

We are planning to move to Geneva on August 4th, so we still have time to do the paperwork here. We really don't want to be separated for so long, so our plan was to go together to Geneva and wait there to get her residence permit, while she is on the 'legal' 90 days period.

There is also a complication if we want to apply for a type D visa here. In the form, we need to include my residence permit type B, which I don't have yet. This is why I really hope that applying for her dependent B permit is enough, and we don't really need the D visa.

I would be really grateful for any information about this!
Reply With Quote