View Single Post
Old 17.06.2019, 16:40
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 16 Times in 10 Posts
user137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputation
Re: investing in real estate vs buying property

Quote:
View Post
Isn't real estate property?
oops.

Quote:
My advice it to buy the largest stand alone pile of poo, 1920s built or earlier, that the bank will lend on, within a 30 to 90 minute commute of work.
and then let it get renovated by the Swiss for Swiss prices... right
on the other hand: 90 minutes commute to work... u crazy? We are not SFO, thanks God...

Quote:
Move in, live, rent out the spare rooms to anyone with a permit. Refugees, Credit Swiss and UBS employees are your friends. Repair everything to project minimum standard.
come to think of it, I want to do nothing of the sort, actually.

Quote:
Compared to the UK, France and Germany where I have owned, the older Swiss stuff is awesome quality. Huge stone walls made of granite, hardwood timbers where normal people use softwood. Hand forged door hinges, hand made nails.
the attached prices are also ridiculous, you can easily pay 100k+ for a kitchen+bathroom makeover, which might actually be the price for an actual flat somewhere in Western-EU. But even if you do invest in your own property, you still are living in the middle of the nothing (on the price tags of the properties I could currently afford), or in areas with subpar community in terms of EU standards. Not very keen on either of those.