View Single Post
Old 21.06.2019, 01:08

Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Caryl has earned the respect of manyCaryl has earned the respect of manyCaryl has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss credit cards - air miles, reward points?

As a Swiss-US citizen I am more or less untouchable by any of the banks, especially cantonal and smaller ones. The day my mortgage is paid off they will close my current account; I only use it to pay the mortgage since they cancelled my ATM card. i bank with PostFinance but a Mexican (not US) friend had his account closed when he tried to put in more than 100,000. My Cantonal bank the holds a mortgage (I am selling that place after 10 years, it's under contract) will make them happy to see the back of me. With no place to keep the proceeds in Switzerland my forex broker will wire it to Fidelity. I keep a US address.

I follow the points guy and use the Chase combo: Chase Sapphire Reserve, United Explorer and Chase Freedom. i haven't used those points yet; plan to in summer 2020. I also have 250,000 Amex points accumulated over many years and nearly 300,000 Chase ones. Will figure out something for me, daughter & grandson. The US CC bills are paid automatically out of my credit union account, replenished with US pension annuity and Social Security.

I know that by switching cards one can do better. but Chase is primary on collision insurance, I don't have to buy CDW and my insurer (USAA) isn't on the hook either: it covers rentals in most countries including USA for members. My Swiss carriers, e-Assura and Allianz have never paid a penny. I sued Holiday Inn France (Axa) once for a horrific room accident that left me bedridden 3 months and got 12,000 plus some expenses. My daughter had a medical emergency and EHIC and her GB Post Office insurance paid CHF20,000 plus re-booked travel. So insurance is good, when it pays. My US health insurance pays 90%, franchise $300: better and more reliable than eAssura; 2/3 paid for by my pension.

It all has to be gamed and who has the time. For a U.S. person FATCA makes it twice as hard. US brokers wouldn't touch me if I didn't have US addresses, DL, voting address, good credit score (63 years with Amex: they gave me a card at age 16. That was then.)