View Single Post
Old 24.06.2019, 10:58
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 44 Times in 25 Posts
dandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputation
Re: Buying a second hand car in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hello!
1. Where do you recommend me to search for a second hand car?
autoscout.ch and ricardo.ch to identify potential cars, then take it from there (visit local dealers and garages etc)

Quote:
2. Should I search for one from a garage or from a private person?
At your budget you may want to lean towards a garage though for possible warranty options.

Quote:
3. Based on what is the annual tax car calculation in St. Gallen?
No idea but I presume a combination of engine size/weight/emissions?

Quote:
4. Could you please tell me what costs are involved beside the price of the car?
Well:
- parking (parking place/garage/etc) - depends on your facilities
- annual tax (~500/year)
- insurance (800-1200/year)
- servicing - put at least 500/year to be sure for CH
- longer term consumables such as summer/winter tyres/wheels
- petrol

As you already have a car you may know some of these costs already?
Quote:
5. Does the MFK is enough or should I try to also do a TCS inspection?
An MFK is a good sign, if you don't know anything about cars it's good to have a knowledgeable person with you. Don't have much experience with TCS inspections - see some other threads on this site. It's better to look around at and test many cars than putting your eggs in one basket - only if you found something you really like and want to buy then a TCS inspection is worth investing in.

Your budget should allow you to find a "small family" second hand car around 5+ year old with cca 100k - of the likes of the Polo family (Skoda Fabia/Seat Ibiza etc), even some japanese (Nissan, Toyota) cars that should be quite reliable. Despite what everyone says, don't discount Peugeot or Renault either. But remember, the bigger the car, the more expensive to maintain and service
The following 2 users would like to thank dandi for this useful post: