View Single Post
Old 03.07.2019, 16:14

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
AprilinCH has no particular reputation at present
Young trailing spouse- career options?

Hi. I am new to this forum and relatively new to Switzerland.

I recently moved to Geneva with my husband after spending a year in another Swiss city and six months in Paris (right before moving to Switzerland).

In Paris, I was studying French and in Switzerland, I haven't been able to work due to the constant moving and permit limitations; but we have recently got our residence permits sorted out so I am allowed to work now. I mention this for more context and to note that I have been unemployed for nearly two years (besides freelance work I still do online)

Before all the moving, I lived in Asia for 10 years, where I went to university and worked for a few years.

In Asia, I used to work in education/translation and interpreting; and before moving to Europe, I was planning on training as (a) a teacher for international British schools (b) continue working for the government as a translator/ interpreter.

Once I moved to Europe, specifically Switzerland, my plans drastically changed as my professional focus in either profession (Spanish) is basically worthless in here.

To say the least, I am completely lost as I used to love my career back in Asia and I honestly have no idea how I can transfer my skills into a new career path.

I have been considering hiring a career coach not to have to go through this process all by myself.

So, after all this rambling, my questions are:
has anyone got any advice?
I know that the decision is mine but, what type of careers - based on the Swiss/Geneva job market- should I consider?

(It's worth mentioning that I speak Spanish, English, and French.
I would say that my listening/reading skills in French are c1/c2
but my speaking/writing skills are about b2/c~)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post.