View Single Post
Old 03.07.2019, 20:40

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
johnnytifosi has no particular reputation at present
Advice on investing in ETFs

Hello everybody,

I am a young professional and a newbie in investing. I have done my fair share of reading on the topic, including the Switzerland-specific info by searching in this forum. I have decided on investing on a S&P500 ETF, a popular choice. However, I still have some questions on the very specific details regarding Switzerland (taxes etc.) what is the step by step process, which specific ETF to choose, and so on.

1. First of all, is it right that I should open some sort of investing account in a bank to hold my assets? Is UBS a good choice since I am already a client? How would I proceed to buy and sell funds? Is it done easily via ebanking?

2. Any advice on a specific S&P500 ETF that I should choose, regarding brokers / domicile of the fund etc? Is going the easy way with UBS the correct one?

3. What should I know about taxes? It is my understanding that in Switzerland there is a 35% withholding tax on dividends, but no capital gain tax, which should make accumulating ETFs more preferable. However, searching the EStv Kursliste as suggested in some other topic, it turns out even accumulating ETFs incur taxes, and comparing a UBS ETF with a similar iShares ETF, the UBS one had 1/3 of the tax. What is the reason? I am a EU citizen on a B permit if that is relevant.

Sorry for the wall of questions and thanks in advance to anyone that might be interested to help!