View Single Post
Old 04.07.2019, 16:03
Forum Legend

Groaned at 95 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 12,338 Times in 5,003 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Residency Requirements for a minor

I get it, totally, that you’re frustrated because managing your son’s health, his permit and his education, all of which seem intertwined, has become such a long-winded, time-consuming process. If I were in your mocassins, I think I'd be frazzled!

On the one hand, there’s the law, and the prescribed requirements, and you have to fulfil those, always, fully. Some parts of some laws allow for an exception for “Härtefall”, i.e. a special case in which fulfilling the law to the letter would cause an unreasonable hardship. Whether or not your son’s case would be deemed so, I do not know, and will PM you the name of a lawyer who combines her understanding of the law with a sense of social compassion, and who may be able to advise you.

On the other hand, there’s the culture, the way the wheels turn in Switzerland. I know you’ve been here for a while, but I think that – for most of us long-termers – when we feel pushed into a corner, we risk that our original culture may rise up in conflict with the Swiss way. I’m trying to be gentle, yet to point out a few things which I think might annoy a Swiss official, and so suggest ways that you could Swissify what you’re asking for. Please know that my aim is not to criticise, but to facilitate, if I can in any small way, your moving towards what you believe your son needs.

Understand that the Swiss do things in steps. Your heart, or your natural protective instinct as a parent, or your culture of origin, may have wanted a clear, once-and-for-all open-ended certificate that, since the boy had had an accident, he could be away from the country for however long it took to restore his vision as best possible. That’s understandably, since you want the very best options for him.

The “blank cheque” is, however, contrary to the Swiss culture. Here, careful perusal of the documents, slow evaluation, deliberate weighing up of the options, and solutions set until a certain date, to be revised later when some measurable criterion can be re-assessed, all these are esteemed. This is probably what seems to you like it is too “complicated”, yet here it is considered as being thorough and doing the job properly. Therefore, it may seem to you that nothing is happening, or that it’s not going well, when in fact the process is unfolding rather well… just methodically, step by step.

The Swiss authorities are not given to [rash] decisions, carte blanche permissions nor [wild] exceptions. And so it should be, since you yourself have said that the prognosis in your son’s case is not yet clear.
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: