View Single Post
Old 09.07.2019, 11:04
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
italo has no particular reputation at present
Leaving flat in Lausanne with Domicim and Swisscaution... Get prepared!

Hi, I am living alone in Lausanne, where I am renting a flat with Domicim since December 1st 2018. I do not speak French (Italian, English, a bit of German). Also, I did not pay a deposit caution, I am instead paying the Swisscaution annual fee.

The time has come for me to leave this hellhole I have read through the forum and found many useful hints (thank you so much guys, you are amazing!) but there is still something that I found unclear, namely regarding the Swisscaution cancellation.

My Domicim contract states that I can leave the flat on the last day of any month, except December 31st, and provided I give 4 months of notice. This means that I am going to send such notice (in French, via registered mail) in the next few days (before July 31st). I know I can leave before that if I find another tenant, but I don't want to bother with that, and I'm not in a hurry anyway.

Back last year, I applied for the Swisscaution rental deposit insurance in November, and if I remember correctly I was only invoiced for 2019 because it was end of the year already. But to cancel the Swisscaution insurance I need the signature of the vultures from Domicim. I am afraid that, even if I leave the flat on November 30th, they will fail to provide a signature before December 31st, and so I will have to pay another year of Swisscaution.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this (likely) scenario? Would it help to register with Asloca? I didn't do it when I moved in because my company provided a relocation agent who checked the contract and took part in the move-in inspection with me, but if I register with Asloca now am I in time to ask them to help me with the move-out inspection?

I also have a Fortuna legal protection insurance with Generali (which I never used). Would it help?

Thanks in advance for any help!