View Single Post
Old 09.07.2019, 23:54
Forum Legend

Groaned at 352 Times in 303 Posts
Thanked 13,947 Times in 7,668 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Happy - are you?

Quote:
View Post
I think people have different ways of measuring happiness and some even tend to classify it into degrees of contentment. Looking only at the grand scheme - crucial moments of one's life, great achievements etc. makes some redefine this concept in a different way than other people.
Others, like myself, who enjoy the little things and what they already have - family, friends, good health, a job, a home, travelling, reading, whatever don't use this term with stinginess, there's nothing exaggerated in my opinion to say you're happy. Ok, if you attribute this word a more profound meaning you can say you're content with your life.

I don't know, can a happiness drug help people with depression other than for a very short term? That's a very slippery slope and wouldn't encourage anyone personally.
It is a bit like Quantum theory; once you start measuring the effects you find the actual act of measuring changes the effects you are measuring-

Same with trying to measure happiness; the more you examine it the more it slips away. Another issue is how do you rate your measurements? I mean there are no independent standards you can compare with! It is all very subjective. Suppose I feel very happy but you might rate the same feelings as ordinarily happy or not?