View Single Post
Old 10.07.2019, 13:41
modified, reprogrammed and doctored

Groaned at 192 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 15,440 Times in 7,840 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Happy - are you?

Quote:
View Post
I think the expectation to be happy partly to blame for the massive rise in the number of people being treated for depression in the developed world. In order to be happy I think you also have to be able to endure being unhappy. Being unhappy or sad is not the same as being depressed, and the medicalisation of the language used to describe the normal fluctuation of human emotion is leading to the misdiagnosis of depression.

Half the problem is that these days people expect to be happy and have good mental health, in a similar way that people expect to have good physical health. It's really a first world problem, exacerbated by almost an obsession with mental health; that this thread is there only illustrates the point. Depression is now the most common illness treated by doctors in the UK, in Africa it barely makes the top ten. We're constantly told now what emotions are positive and what are negative, and then trying to interpret these emotions through the medical prism of mental illness. People need to remember that anxiety and stress can be good things that can be used well.
I think in principle I agree. I also think I'd use other words for the same principle. Loads of the times we carry on with patterns we were exposed to as kids, these selfdestructive patterns aren't even ours...yet we still feed them. I don't think it is easy to see, that unconstructive ways sometimes for some folks are solely in their own hands while they are busy looking elsewhere or falling into a complete inhibition.

Cyrulnik is a phenomenal French psychiatrist researching the effect of wealth in the modern society on lack of drive, motivation, narcissism and failing personal responsibility and failing to find meaning of self. He is kinda close to Peterson but in more clinical and phenomenological way.

I'd question your stats, though. The fact is that serious malnutrition, shortage of drinking water and epidemies of serious illnesses prevent maybe the system to register unhappiness. Europe is doing well, hence the nuances in diagnostics. Another thing is that poor countries imho show more faith. More faith, less unhappiness? Or maybe the social interractions are not about individualism but collectivity and appartenance...belonging to a group.

I'd say, another research I read did say - more internet means less happiness, more isolation, less real social contact. I think it's pretty true.

Last edited by MusicChick; 10.07.2019 at 14:01.
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post: