View Single Post
Old 13.07.2019, 15:13
Forum Legend

Groaned at 53 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 8,098 Times in 3,373 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recurring unemployment

I can understand that you might not like the idea of working as a cashier. Who would, after all? I don't think I've ever yet met a cashier who really liked his or her job. I do know several, though, who started out as a cashier and now have more interesting and challenging jobs in the same company.

However, you're making a fundamental error - in your understanding of the Swiss unemployment system - if you believe that "they can help" you towards A but not to B, where A is "computer science or software" and B is "a cashier job".

You see, the main aim of the unemployment officers is to… get you off their payroll. Therefore, they can (an in may, and also must) propose any and every kind of work that they deem necessary.

Sometimes, those officers take poor decisions, and unemployed people get sent on silly courses or daft "work experience training", etc. That's really annoying and seems like a complete waste of time and energy. Other times, the suggestions are ideal, the courses supply exactly what is needed to lead to a real job. Other times, such measures unexpectedly turn out to be really good, even though they seemed unlikely or off-putting from the start. In between, there's a range where the course, or the work itself is unsatisfactory, but by being there, one gets to know someone who knows someone and suddenly a door to real employment is open.

My main point is: the unemployment office cannot force you to do anything. They do, however, set the rules. This includes how many jobs you have to apply for, how often you have to come back and talk to them, which courses you must attend, and what kind of work they think you ought to be ready to try out. You are free to say YES or NO to the suggestions. But if you say NO, then you will be deemed to be uncooperative, whereupon they will reduce (or in the worst case stop) the moneys that they are now paying to you.

It is for this reason that people often say that being on unemployment benefits is like being employed by the unemployment office. Just like when really employed, you have a duty to do what is required of you and, failing that, you can be dismissed. You're still always free to choose, within the defined framework.

So yes, they CAN set you working as a cashier as a pre-requisite to continuing to receive unemployment benefits.
The following 3 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: