View Single Post
Old 18.07.2019, 13:10
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 140 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,631 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Anyone familiar with the Feijoa, aka 'pineapple guava'?

These are a somewhat common landscape plant/hedgerow and border shrub on the central coast of California, with nice form and beautiful foliage and flowers. The flowers are edible and tasty, and the fruit is delicious - like a cross between guava and pineapple as you may have guessed.

I planted one of these in my garden about 5 years ago, because i loved them so much when i lived in California. I didn't think it would survive the winters, let alone flower and fruit, and I've never gotten around to protecting it in the Winter. It's on the corner of my lot where it gets wind-blasted a bit as well. Elevation approx. 450m

This year it's finally gotten to the point where the roots run deep and it's well established. Its growing like crazy, I noticed a single flower a few weeks back and now I've got a pineapple guava growing

I can't wait till next year, i have a feeling it's going to produce a big crop. Along with my two pawpaw trees (indianerbananabaum), these exotic plants and fruits are my garden favorites. pure delicacies.

If you have the space and time (to wait for them to mature - both plants require zero pruning or maintenance), plant out some pawpaws and feijoas. You won't regret it!

both plants are available from Häberli:

https://www.haeberli-beeren.ch/de/pr...ianische-guave

https://www.haeberli-beeren.ch/de/pr...ndianerbananen

Last edited by pilatus1; 18.07.2019 at 13:24.
The following 2 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post: