View Single Post
Old 26.07.2019, 15:58

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
greengrass10 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]

Quick update: equipped with all the tips on this site, I set out to to clean and fix my running toilet. This entailed a saturday morning several hours reviewing this sites' tips, google researching and watching youtube videos on running toilet cleaning and repair, and a trip to leroy merlin (french home depot/hardware store) where I bought all the tools and a toilet replacement kit (in case one needed), including a leroy merlin membership card as it offered free telephone support for installation of the toilet replacement kit.

Long story short, I'd gotten a pretty good grasp of how the toilet works and having a sense of what I needed to do. But unfortunately I think I needed more practice in handling the tools. Accidentally broke one of the plastic parts with the wrench after realizing was twisting it the wrong direction, which made it necessary to replace the whole contraption. Then, hit a complete barrier when the square bolt attached to the water source seemed fused, and couldn't get it to turn in order to remove the contraption from the water source. Seemed quite easy in the videos, but not so easy in the doing. Anyway, ended up having to pay a plumber more than 250 euro to fix it (including additional weekend fee - hadn't realized plumbers in france don't work on weekends and will do it only for an additional weekend fee).

Realized I probably needed to start with Basic Tools 101. Did gain an understanding of the mechanisms through which a toilet works though which was good to know and also now have some appreciation for the person who invited the toilet and how much easier it makes our lives. Thanks in any case to all for the tips. I think would probably be able to do it successfully in case I needed to do this a 2nd time.

Greengrass