View Single Post
Old 28.07.2019, 20:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 159 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,789 Times in 2,649 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question for the ladies - fibroids

I am so sorry this has happened, thank you for sharing your ordeal, my heart aches for you.

Having had (thankfully benign but still health-impacting) fibroids myself, I noticed there seems to be a general "wait and see" approach, whereby the gynae speculates that you will take the initiative yourself if matters get worse. However, I feel like hormonal issues can get worse so gradually that you may keep putting things off or not want to make a fuss, like the often cited frog in the water that heats up gradually until the hapless amphibian is cooked. And of course, the popular "if in doubt, take the pill" view is not necessarily helpful, often just being a superficial solution.

Like edot said, women's health is clearly just not considered as important or we would have more and better research on these things. Mind you, we still get the privilege of paying higher insurance premiums because doctors will happily treat symptoms until the cows come home but looking for the root cause is a different story.

I believe that owning a more complex machine (aka body) compared to the other half of the population requires the mindset of a skilled mechanic. You need to understand what is going on and how you can influence it for the better if nevessary. I love how technology has helped me with this, I use Tempdrop and Ovuview to keep track and my gynecologist really digs having data to work with.

Contrary to the common narrative, It is not normal for your menstrual cycle to negatively impact your life. It is not normal to feel tired all the time or be in agonising pain on a regular basis. I know we try to grin and bear it and for the most part try to hide what is happening because there is so much social stigma attached. I know people, even women, don't like talking about it but we deserve better.

So like 3wishes says, if in doubt, be the person who demands a better answer or a second opinion. Pay attention to what is normal for YOUR body, document it. The literature talks about averages and standard deviations; make sure you have your own data.
The following 8 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post: