View Single Post
Old 04.08.2019, 13:04
Forum Legend

Groaned at 25 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 22,489 Times in 7,169 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Hobby farming" or "smallholding" - anyone have experience?

Something else to figure into your calculations is whether or not the property can be mortgaged.

We have twice seen properties where the fields could not be mortgaged. The small bit the house was sitting on was essentially a separate parcel and could be mortgaged but one needed to have the cash to buy the fields outright. I have no idea if this is a local or cantonal thing, or if it is restricted to certain kinds of land zoned Landwirtschaft, or not. These two properties were not under the BGBB, by the way.

The good news is that production-zoned agricultural land is usually price controlled, so you are likely not looking at a large amount if the land you are interested in is not mortgageable.

(Price controls are another reason why it's so hard for non-Swiss non-farmers to buy farming land. It's another form of subsidy.)

And another thought, having spent the morning chatting with the farmer behind me:

Would you consider a Pachtvertrag? If you run into barriers to buying the land, do you think the current owner might agree to verpacht the land to you, with the right to buy/first refusal at a later date? Then, after some years (of successful farming) have passed, you might be in a better place to put in a favorable application to purchase - that is, if permission to purchase is indeed needed in your case.

Obviously buying outright would be the best thing (IMO), but a Pachtvertrag is something to keep in mind, just in case.

The farmer behind me does not own the farm, he works the farm under a Pachtvertrag, has been doing so for at least the 15 years I have lived here. The farmer wants to buy it, but the owner - who I think is sipping Margaritas somewhere in the sun - does not want to sell. But the farmer has first refusal if/when the owner decided to sell.
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: