View Single Post
Old 05.08.2019, 10:07

Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
AnnaSophiaA has an excellent reputationAnnaSophiaA has an excellent reputationAnnaSophiaA has an excellent reputationAnnaSophiaA has an excellent reputation
Re: "Hobby farming" or "smallholding" - anyone have experience?

Quote:
View Post
Make sure you know what you are getting into and have disposable income ready to support your hobby. You will enjoy it much more in the long run I think.
You make a very good point. Thankfully language isn’t a problem for us, and from my observation of friends’ gardening efforts, my expectations coming from drought-plagued gardening growing up are much lower than what they’re getting out of their gardens. My main interest would be in providing food for our own use, then slowly building up to a point of being able to sell some as time goes on.

But the unexpected costs is a big issue, especially for my husband who hasn’t really owned animals before. Having owned and worked with horses and dogs I recognize that accidents and illness happen—our dog just had to have teeth removed after a stupid accident that I’m still kicking myself for, but that’s how life goes. I want to be sure that he understands that, and that he’s really willing to get into this lifestyle, before we get too far down the rabbit hole.