View Single Post
Old 06.08.2019, 15:25
Forum Legend

Groaned at 77 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 11,461 Times in 4,655 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vitamin B: Is it that compulsory to have it in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Meeting the real guys that work in this field is also difficult because they either will want to mingle just with guys of their own leaque or industry events to which you like an outsider you hardly get access. I remember even inviting a some on Linkedin whom i thought could be of help and after visiting my profile they never even replied to the request. Wow really? if i was a director in a big company would this happen?
Yes, if you were a director in a big company you probably wouldn't have the time to look after your Linkedin profile. Instead, you would have a secretary or an assistant who would have, as part of his/her job, the task of making sure that the profile didn't collect thousands of links.

I would never suggest trying to contact a person much senior to you through social media.

Instead, use the online info only to become knowledgable about the person. Read what they publish, see which projects have won them approval or awards, find out with whom they are collaborating, their plans for the future, etc.

Then, write a mail or a letter. Write just one or two sentences about yourself, and specify what interests you about the senior person's work. Ask whether you may please visit for half-an-hour, to ask for some advice about planning what you should next study, and what they would recommend you do to start your career.

If the person agrees to see you, do not ask him/her to give you a job. Just ask for their advice about how to improve your market value, for their ideas about what you could do to become more useful or attractive to a potential employer, and perhaps whether he/she knows of upcoming projects about which you should learn. If things go well, and they seem to want to help you, ask them to glance at your c.v. and criticise it.

If the person offers you any advice or criticism, don't argue against it, nor justify why you haven't already achieved that thing. Just say thank you, oh, I see I hadn't considered that, or yes, I would learn more about that, and I could develop in that area. Take notes.

If the conversation goes very, very well and there is an evident, good rapport, ask them to tell you what they would recommend to their own adult child.

Make sure you leave within the arranged time (their minutes are expensive), except if specifically asked to stay longer.

Afterwards write down as many of that person's tips as you can recall, including their actual phrases. Go and see whether you can implement any of what they told you. Then, when you write to them to thank them, you can use their own wording to say what you have already changed.